📺 Roman Pichler on the Product Owner at the 38th Hands-on-Agile Meetup
TL; DR: HoA #38: Ask-Me-Anything w/ Roman Pichler: The Product Owner
In this energizing 38th Hands-on Agile session, Roman Pichler delved into your questions on the role of the Product Owner. The topics range from product manager vs. Product Owner vs. business analyst to the right size of a Product Backlog to linking product vision to Product Goal and Sprint Goal.
📺 Watch the video now: Roman Pichler: The Product Owner — Hands-on-Agile #38.
🗞 Shall I notify you about articles like this one? Awesome! You can sign up here for the ‘Food for Agile Thought’ newsletter and join 34,000-plus subscribers.
🎓 Join Stefan in one of his upcoming Professional Scrum training classes!
The Ask-Me-Anything with Roman Pichler on the Product Owner
During the session, Roman addressed the following questions:
- A product owner is an expert in product management, i. e., a product manager who takes on the product owner role within a Scrum team. My colleague thinks that’s not the case. What do you think?
- At my organization, they have made a “division” of the product owner role because they have come to believe that product owner cannot do everything. So now we have product managers (who look after commercials and customers) and product owners (who work with the team, so typical scrum product owners). How can this setup be ever successful? What to say to the “high-up” that this model is not efficient (if that is the case). And if, for some reason, it is a good model, how do we manage product managers to stop believing they are sitting on a high horse and are managing the product owners? Subsequent: what does the organization have to do to avoid this division of the role?
- How can the combination of “product management” for the strategy and so-called “solution proposals” and “product owner” for the operational part work well together in a company? Does this make sense? If so, when?
- In the context of a company developing software for another company (B2B), What would you say are the differences between a Product Owner role (Customer), Product Manager role, and Business Analyst Role (Provider)
- What would be three must-haves for a Product Owner?
- I’m wondering what was the best way (advice, facilitation technique, simply being there to listen — anything) a Scrum Master has ever helped you as a Product Owner or a team you’ve worked with?
- What do you consider a good size for a manageable product backlog?
- Linking product vision to product goals and sprint goals: what’s the difference between vision & mission, & do you think it really matters? (P.S Thank you for writing in this area; it has been super helpful.)
Please note that the questions were slightly edited to improve readability.
You can view Roman’s slides on the Product Owner here.
Connect with Roman Pichler
Roman Pichler is a product management expert specialised in digital products and agile practices. Roman has taught product managers and product owners and advised product leaders for more than 15 years; he has been involved in product management and agile software development for more than 20 years.
Roman shares his knowledge through his training courses and consulting services, his books, his popular blog, podcast, and talks, and his product management tools, including his widely used product vision board.
When he’s not busy with work, Roman enjoys spending time with his family, cycling in the Chiltern hills, playing the tenor saxophone, and helping with family events at Amaravati Buddhist monastery. Roman is based in Wendover, near London in the UK.
Website: Roman Pichler’s website.
LinkedIn: Roman Pichler’s LinkedIn profile.
Twitter: Roman Pichler’s Twitter profile.
Youtube: Roman Pichler’s Youtube channel.
📺 Join 3,500-plus Agile Peers on Youtube
Now available on the Age-of-Product Youtube channel to improve learning:
- 🆕 Hands-on Agile #38: The Product Owner with Roman Pichler.
- 🆕 Agile Camp Berlin 2021: The Power and Pains of Autonomy with Jimmy Janlén.
- Hands-on Agile #31: The Zones of Value Framework with Valerio Zanini & Zeina Zeitouni.
- Hands-on Agile #35: Designing Powerful Questions to help you Coach & Create with Daniel Stillman.
- Hands-on Agile #34: Core Protocols for Psychological Safety with Richard Kasperowski.
- Agile Camp Berlin 2021: Adapt How You Lead for Agile Success with Johanna Rothman.
📅 Scrum Training Classes, Workshops, and Events
You can secure your seat for Scrum training classes, workshops, and meetups directly by following the corresponding link in the table below:
You can book your seat for the training directly by following the corresponding links to the ticket shop. If the procurement process of your organization requires a different purchasing process, please contact Berlin Product People GmbH directly.
✋ Do Not Miss Out: Learn more about the Product Owner and Join the 11,000-plus Strong ‘Hands-on Agile’ Slack Team
I invite you to join the “Hands-on Agile” Slack team and enjoy the benefits of a fast-growing, vibrant community of agile practitioners from around the world.
If you like to join now all you have to do now is provide your credentials via this Google form, and I will sign you up. By the way, it’s free.